Remote working may have gotten rid of a few things for you- like driving to the office through the traffic, from Monday to Friday, or having to stay late with your colleagues to celebrate a promotion after-office. At least that was normal we all were aware of. Then came the pandemic in early 2020, and companies were forced to implement remote working in a rush to keep them from shutting down completely. But, while that kept employees safe at their homes and working from their study, it definitely was a difficult transition for employees who’ve never worked remotely before, especially when the world outside struggled.
Then there are other struggles of working from home like constant distractions, loneliness at work, lack of motivation, poor work-life balance, etc. As per studies, it was observed that the workforce was eager to get back to the workplace, as soon as they are vaccinated, had workspaces following social distancing, or the employers providing a hybrid work environment. However, employees need to remember that remote work (from home or otherwise) is more about flexibility and balance to keep your productivity on the higher side. So, the next time if you consider getting to a coffee shop with high-speed WiFi once the pandemic subsides, it may be a whole different thing. To understand better, let’s take one step at a time:
Remote Work: The Gradual Rise to an Overnight Phenomenon
As per LinkedIn’s Global Talent Trends 2019 report, the demand for flexible work witnessed an increase of over 78%. But, because of the forced adoption to remote working, it certainly changed the figures entirely, as reported by AngelList and Buffer, that said over 98% of over 3500 global remote workers wanted to work remotely in some form for the rest of their lives. And this was only the beginning, as this decoupling of employees from the offices redefined several fundamentals of remote work, like:
- The natural desire to stay away from the cities because of the vulnerability to future pandemics and the population.
- Seeking higher incentives by employees in job opportunities as remote workers.
- Increase in usage of satellite internet and having access to the cheapest form of energy – like solar energy.
All the above trends lead to a future when remote workers prefer to be extremely remote workers – sometimes choosing to live in the outskirts or even in other countries. This is how the ‘Working from anywhere’ concept comes into the picture.
Working From Anywhere: Looking Beyond the Glass
The very fundamentals of working from anywhere begins with the concept that they can literally look past the traditional conventions of a workplace. It can be working from their bedrooms, or from countries they haven’t been to ever before, or even from their vacations. The whole sci-fi phenomenon of ‘living off the grid’ will be real, as the workforce will be focused on working from the rural areas because of the easy availability of the internet. This can be trickier to handle than it sounds, as the workers can be living at really far distances from their place of work – that can add whole new things to your plate:
- An elaborate, complex HR protocol: From hiring to operations, everything needs to be relevant, doable, and balanced for both the remote workers and at-office employees. From hiring employees in other cities, states, and other countries, settling work visas, adhering to the state tax, employment rules.
- New salary standards: While there are companies that adjust the pay of their remote employees, since they don’t have to daily commute to the office anymore, the employees, on the other hand, may not see it as the same. Instead, they may see it as a commodity that they deserve to keep their productivity high as well as keep them socially distant from others. Since the amount of a salary depends on the living expenses and other factors as per the area of employment – you’d need to have remote workers have clarity in understanding about their compensation before they sign up with you to avoid future conflicts.
- Abiding Tax Implications: As an employer having workers across cities, states, and even offshore, you’d need to have an effective, thorough, and verified legal employment policy, complete with different tax breakdowns that are conveyed and ensure the employees understand when they join you.
- Security of your employees: Remote employee security is more complicated than regular employees since people are left working by themselves from their homes, or elsewhere. The physical security of organization computers and data can be vulnerable to cybercriminals, so ensure that all your workers are well-protected via their working systems.
In the pandemic, when it’s overwhelming to work alongside running house errands, taking care of your children; it’s remote working that gives you the opportunity to spend more time with your family. However, it also means learning to balance your work and home at the same time; essential to building character and discipline into your career. Parents and caretakers may make the most of working from anywhere, it boils down to being more comfortable with all these new elements of flexibility.
If you have a lot to catch up on about this new ‘work from anywhere’ concept and would like to explore workspace opportunities that are away from the crowd, affordable, and as comfortable as you want them to be, choosing coworking spaces can be a smart option. Here are some of such crafty places where you can get the best of both worlds:
If you’ve always wanted to have a bright, cheerful, and elegant workspace that has elements of hospitality and belonging in it – the Arohas can be a good choice for you. With the right balance of professionalism, technology, and care working here can feel just like being in the neighborhood.
Zioks is an upscale, tech-backed business center in Kolkata that comprises high-end, modern, flexible work setups for everyone looking to work in a collaborative and inspiring ambiance. Located in Sector V, they are at a perfect location for any IT professional to reside.
Renowned as one of the premium coworking centers at Kilpauk, they provide a work-conducive environment essential for professionals across various domains. With innovative amenities and refreshing, lavishly designed interiors, they are perfect for those looking for cost-efficient coworking spaces.