The evolution of tools that are used on the farm has brought about many advantages with it. The mechanization of agriculture is important in increasing its productivity and, on the other hand lowering its costs through timely operations.
As a result, heavy machinery is required, which may not be available due to their power demand. This is where the power tiller gets to become applicable. In this article, we will discuss all you need to know about the power tiller.
Agriculture is dominated by small-scale farmers who may need careful assessment before purchasing heavy machinery for power supply in their farms to maximize their production. The amount of produce is also affected by the fact that they are located in rural places with little or no power supply, and as a result, one may be forced to look for a power tiller to help in farm tilling.
The capability of a power tiller, the types, and how they work contribute a lot to determining a power tiller price in Kenya.
A power tiller can be defined as a mini tractor.This is because it has some characteristics of a tractor but is smaller in size. This feature makes it easily accessible to small-scale farmers in Kenya.
Functions of a power tiller
- Preparatory plowing
This tool can perform some medium levels of plowing with a plow attached.
- Preparation of the seedbed
It can also be used to make seed beds perfectly and quickly to the extent of ridge making, leveling, bund formation, and harrowing.
In rice paddy, the tool is also used to cultivate rice with the help of rotavators, making it easier than before.
A farm-size axial thresher that is small in size is attached to the power tiller and is used to perform the threshing operation. Apart from this, it separates and cleans grains and collects them, leaving straws.
For this to take place, a trailer is attached to it with a carrying capacity of two tonnes. This can only be done within a short range.
Advantages of a power tiller
- Small in size and, as a result, light in weight
- More affordable to farmers since their cost is low
- It has a lower rate of fuel consumption and thus less maintenance cost
- Easy to handle and operate
- Increases the level of productivity by reducing cultivation cost
Types of a power tiller
- Rare line tillers
- This is the largest of them all.
- It is used for heavy-duty plowing, harvesting, and transportation.
- Front line tillers
- Smaller in size
- It can be used to perform functions such as harrowing and ridging
- The rotary blades are located in front of the engine or beneath it hence the name
- Mini tillers
- It used for gardening purposes
- They are smaller in size hence less powerful
- They are the best for soil mixing.
The days of straining yourself and developing blisters while using hand hoes are long gone. A power tiller now makes it simple and quick to complete tasks. Source https://www.walkingtractors.co.ke