Nath or the nose ring is an ornament worn on the left side of the nose. It is available in various sizes, shapes, designs, and forms like ring, pin, stud, or a traditional Nath. This traditional gold jewellery symbolizes Devi Parvati’s poise and integrity, which is considered the goddess of marriage. Every region in India has styled the Nath as per their tradition. When a bride wears a beautiful Nath along with other gold ornaments and attire, she looks like a beautiful princess.
Many women wear a nose pin regularly but when it comes to marriages, the traditional nose rings made of gold become an essential ornament to be worn by the bride. In Maharashtrian jewellery “Brahmani Nath” is an essential ornament to be worn by the Marathi bride on her special occasion. The design is quite different from the usual nose pins and adds extra charisma to the bridal face when worn with a Nauvari saree.
From a medical perception, it is a belief that piercing a nose fortifies the ovary. It is believed in Ayurveda, the woman with nose piercing faces less pain during her menstruation. They are available in various latest gold jewellery designs and women love to wear them as a symbol of marriage.
Let us have a look at different types of Marathi Nath designs:
- Three-Step Nath: This traditionally aesthetic-looking Nath has three floral coils with gold floral add-ons. It is available in various colors but in Maharashtrian culture brides wear green color saree on their special occasions. Hence, the bride can wear a green-colored three-step nath to match with attire and other gold jewellery.
- Big Pearl Nath: This beautiful piece of jewellery matches the look of temple jewellery. The design of this nath is big as compared to others with big size pearls embroidered around the center and end. The center has a green leaf and white pearls are embroidered around the leaf from top to bottom. This can be matched with stunning big-sized temple earrings and a temple necklace by the bride.
- Curved Moon Stone & Pearl Nath: This nath has different colored stones carved in the leafy design along with white-colored pearls. This type of nath is mostly matched with Kundan gold necklace set and earrings.
- Hoop Nath: This classy Nath is made of white pearls embedded with an outline of gold. It is big and half-circled looked very classy and beautiful when worn by a Marathi bride with Paithani or Nauvari Saree.
- Pointed Border Nath: It is a small half-moon Nath with a pointed pearl border. Some of the brides love to wear simple and small-sized jewellery designs. This type of nath is best suitable for such ones. This gold Nath is small in size and looks very elegant when a bride wears it with golden embroidered mundavalya.
The Brahmani Nath from the most essential list of a Marathi bride’s jewellery comes with various other options. It can be matched with color and other ornaments worn by the bride on her special occasion.