Jewellery design is a professional discipline that entails formulating concepts, visualize design basis this concept and then crafting of silverware, jewellery and other decorative metalwork products accordingly utilizing variety of materials including silver, precious as well as artificial stones and gold etc. A jewellery designer needs to be in sync with current fashion & market trends, cultural and social trends along with an understanding of customer preferences. He also must have competencies in fabrication techniques along with functional & architectural knowledge of materials like precious and artificial stones, gold & silver etc. He also ensures designs viability in terms of creating as well as wearing.
- Creative & artistic skills in order to visualize unique designs that are attract customers in the market
- Patience & ability to work with diverse materials utilizing various tools.
- Adept at using computer drawing software including CAD
- Attention to detail to ensure flawless design and final output
- Capability to adhere to timelines along with managing multiple projects.
- Communication & Networking skills to build connections, to market your designs as well as dealing with vendors
- Passion to conceptualize innovative design concepts
For a career in Jewellery Design, you must develop your skills with jewelry design courses. Following is the eligibility Criteria in order to join a Jewellery Design College:
- Under-graduate level: Student must complete his 10+2 from a recognised board and that too in any stream
- Post-graduation level: Student needs a bachelor’s degree from any recognized university in related field.
- Students from non related field can also join the course only if they are able to display the skill set required for jewellery design.
- Entrance exam needs to be cleared by the eligible candidates. On being successful in the entrance exams, the students need to clear group discussions as well as personal interview
- The successful completion will enable students to get admitted into the college
Jewellery Design Course:
To develop their skills, students must join a Jewellery Design Course that offers the following:
- The curriculum must equip students with varieties, aesthetics as well as techniques involved in making of traditional and contemporary jewellery using both non-precious and precious materials
- The college must offer specialization in wearable as well as non-wearable accessory designs in addition to Jewellery Design. It must ensure competencies modern techniques, processes, technologies etc.
- State of art studio must be available to students so that they can experiment to gain confidence as well as handle projects and gain knowledge in fabrication.
- Exposure through field research, industry visits, internships and live projects along with interaction with industry experts must be offered by the college.
- Comprehensive placement program along with assistance in building of portfolio must be ensured by the college
- Additional career support curriculum like digital communication or diamond cutting etc. must be offered at the college.
- Certification offered must be recognized in both international & domestic market
- College must equip the students with an understanding of creating a framework to facilitate mounting of gems (stones) via forming and drilling of metals.