Everyone dreams of colouring their hair. However, no one is prepared for the aftercare. When it comes to caring for colour-treated hair, shampoo and conditioners cannot fight the battle alone. Coloured hair requires special treatment to maintain its look. Or else, you are left with a light, frizzy and damaged locks. This article talks about a single product that can make all the difference – Hair Serum.
What is a Hair Serum and What are its Benefits?
Hair serum is an essential styling product used mainly after hair wash. It aims to smoothen, reduce frizz and give a glossy finish to the hair. In addition, it acts as a protective layer to prevent hair damage caused by UV rays, humidity and pollution.
Hair serums contain silicone, amino acids, and ceramides that help in keeping the hair frizz-free. As a result, they bring life to dull and damaged hair. Moreover, hair serums strengthen hair tips and prevent hair loss. A variety of hair serums are available for different types of hair, including coloured hair.
How can hair serums help in maintaining coloured hair?
Getting your hair coloured can remove the natural proteins present in the hair. It makes them dry and weak. As a result, your hair requires nourishment to regenerate its strength. Serums can do that for you.
Hair serums provide the required nourishment and protect the colour from fading and becoming dull. Sometimes, hair colour also takes away the natural shine of your hair. Hair serums can help bring back a glow and repair damaged hair.
How to Choose a Hair Serum for Coloured Hair?
Coloured hair is often accompanied by issues like frizz, dryness and split ends. So, a hair serum should protect not only coloured hair but also resolve other hair problems. Generally, look for hair serums with a cream-based formula. The rich, creamy formula will make your hair colour pop out in just a few seconds.
- Frizzy Hair: Go for serums containing rosewood, castor, and marula to provide deep nourishment and hydration.
- Split Ends: Look for keratin-infused hair serums to reverse the damage,
- Damaged Hair: Serums with lavender and jojoba oils as ingredients are excellent for such hair types. They take care of the hair, help in detangling them, and are super lightweight.
- Dry Hair: A cream-based hair serum that you can leave on overnight will work best here.
- Thick Hair: Serums infused with argan oil and Moroccan oil are your go-to if you have thick hair.
- Curly Hair: Look for ingredients like jojoba, sweet almond oil, argan, and marula in your serum. They help to hydrate your curls and lock them in place.
How to apply
- Take a few drops of the hair serum and warm it up between your palms.
- By turning over your hair forwards, begin to apply the serum upwards from the tips of the hair.
- Massage the tips of the hair as it needs the most attention. Then, flip the hair back again and massage it well, starting from the back and moving forward to the front of the hair.
- For best results, use a generous amount of hair serum.
Things you should do:
- Know your hair type before buying any hair serum. Seek professional guidance to get the perfect hair serum for your hair type.
- Wash your hair properly before applying the serum. Or else, it may lock in the dust and dirt that is already present in the hair.
- Since your ends are naturally prone to dryness, generously apply hair serum to the tips.
- When you decide to colour your hair, avoid hair colours with high chemical composition. Also, ensure that the hair colour brand suits your hair type. You can try the Bigen Hair Colour for guaranteed results. They contain herbal extracts and imparts colour to your hair in just 5 minutes.
Things to avoid:
- Avoid applying hair serum on unwashed hair. It will give it a greasy look.
- While applying the serum, make sure your hair is not dripping wet. It may dilute the solution and reduce its effectiveness.
- Avoid applying hair serums to the roots of your hair. It will increase the oil buildup, leading to a greasy and itchy scalp.
- Applying too much serum can make your hair look unwashed and greasy. So, be generous but with caution.
For coloured hair, hair serums are a must-have in your hair care routine. From protecting the colour to reducing damage, serums are a game-changer here. So, use this article to find yourself the best-suited hair serum. Then, remember to use it regularly and enjoy your soft, shiny and salon-like hair colour.