Recently, the development of advertising in our country represents an accelerated evolutionary process, which involves a huge number of specialists from various professions: economists, sociologists, political scientists, psychologists, journalists, and designers. Today’s advertising has its own symbolism and language.
Many advertisers do not take into account the importance of font graphics, considering it only as a means of transmitting text, or, on the contrary, distort the font so much that the message cannot be read.
Nevertheless, in printed publications, on outdoor advertising boards and in television commercials, there are examples of successful use of the richest pictorial and expressive possibilities of the font.
These best practices need to be studied as well as negative experiences with their typical mistakes and shortcomings.
Nowadays, there is a huge number of fonts. Each font has its own name, and many of them exist in different versions of the basic type and pattern.
Optimum selection and use of a huge number of fonts for each specific case can only be done by specialist artists in the field of advertising. The function of the font in advertising is to attract the reader’s attention, focus on reading information, and highlight the most important arguments.
Each type of font gives the text a unique emotional colour. When choosing a font, remember that it should correspond to the advertised goods. So, with the help of fonts of a complex pattern with rounded contours of letters and contrasting strokes, you can emphasize the lightness, and sophistication of the product, which is discussed in the text. Fonts of a simpler pattern with a rectangular outline of letters are suitable for a set of texts that advertise the simplicity of the form, strength, and reliability of the object. It is appropriate to use bold, heavy fonts for advertising washing machines, refrigerators, electric dryers, and light ones – for advertising perfumes, jewellery, fabrics
The human eye does not perceive individual letters, but groups of letters or words. This property of the eyes to cover groups of letters, their shape, as well as a certain length of lines is a factor that speeds up or slows down reading. Therefore, in addition to the drawing of the font, it is equally important to correctly choose its size, the distance between letters, and lines, the length of lines and the location of the text on the page.
- The colour of the paint with which the text is written plays a big role in the perception of the text. In advertising media containing rather large texts, serious attention should be paid to the clarity of the print on a coloured background. When designing advertising text on billboards, the following points must be taken into account:
- The appearance and size of the geometric fonts letters must correspond to the features of the advertising objects, the area of the sheet;
- The best option is to use one picture of different sizes;
- The correct selection of paint colour is necessary to strengthen the emotional impact of the advertising text on the reader;
- The colour of the free font download and the background should always be contrasting – the sharper the font stands out against the background, the easier it is to read and perceive;