It’s no secret that the cost of energy is on the rise. In fact, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average American family can expect to spend about $2,200 on energy this year. That’s a lot of money! But there are ways to reduce your energy bill and save money. Here are fourteen tips from experts like Paul Favret:
- Get an energy audit. An energy audit is an analysis of your home’s energy use. It can help you identify ways to reduce your energy consumption and save money. Many utility companies offer free or discounted energy audits.
- Educate yourself about energy efficiency. The more you know about energy efficiency, the easier it will be to make changes in your home that will reduce your energy bill.
- Make your home more energy-efficient. There are many things you can do to make your home more energy-efficient, from installing insulation to replacing your light bulbs.
- Use energy-efficient appliances. When it’s time to replace an appliance, be sure to choose one that is energy-efficient.
- Get a smart meter. A smart meter is a digital meter that records your energy use in real time. It can help you monitor your energy consumption and identify areas where you can save energy.
- Set your thermostat correctly. One of the easiest ways to save energy is to set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and higher in the summer.
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help you automatically adjust your home’s temperature based on your schedule.
- Unplug appliances when not in use. Many appliances continue to use energy even when they’re turned off. To save energy, unplug appliances when you’re not using them.
- Use a power strip. A power strip is a device that allows you to plug in multiple appliances and then turn them all off with the flip of a switch. This can be a convenient way to save energy.
- Ride your bike or walk instead of driving. If you live close to where you need to go, consider riding your bike or walking instead of driving. This is a great way to save energy and get some exercise at the same time.
- Install solar panels. Solar panels can help you reduce your dependence on fossil fuels and save money on your energy bill.
- Join a community solar program. Community solar programs allow you to purchase solar panels and receive a discount on your energy bill.
- Use energy-efficient lighting. Energy-efficient lighting, such as LED bulbs, can last longer and use less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Educate your family and friends about energy efficiency. The more people who know about energy efficiency, the more we can all save money on our energy bills.
These are just a few of the many ways you can save money on your energy bill. Implementing even a few of these tips can help you reduce your energy consumption and save money. For more tips, be sure to check out the Energy Star website.